One of the biggest questions we get from authors -- after "where did you come up with that name?" -- is: "What is my eBook going to look like on the different devices?"
It's a hugely crucial point -- the Nook, iPad, Kindle and Kobo devices are all popular with readers. Each device has different screen sizes, multi-media capabilities, and ways of rendering content. Strangely, it's hard to find one place on the Web that compiles this information handily. Because Vook allows you to build really customized eBooks, with unique CSS styling, multi-media elements, images and Internet linking, it's important for authors to understand the output capabilities of the different eReaders.
So we put together a little guide on the different devices. Check it out below. As for our name? It's like "Book" with a "V". Some would say it's a "V" for video (because we allow multi-media) -- but, much like Winston Churchill, I like to say it's a V for VICTORY.
Multimedia enhancements are only supported on some devices. Devices that support multimedia enhancements:
- iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch with iBooks
- Nook Color and Nook Tablet
- Kindle Apps for iOS
Some retailers also have file size limitations to consider. The maximum file size depends on the relationship you have with the retailer. Maximum eBook file sizes:
- Apple iBookstore — 2 GB
- Barnes & Noble PubIt! — 20 MB
- Barnes & Noble via Vook distribution relationship — 600 MB
- Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing — 50 MB
- Amazon via Vook distribution relationship — 650 MB
CSS StylingNot every eReader supports all of the styling you can control in the Vook Style editor, or create on your own. The Build page in Vook corresponds most closely to iBooks.
Kindle-specific formatting notes:
- The Kindle indents paragraphs by default. To override this, slide “First line indent” to the right and then back to 0.000 em.
- The eInk Kindles cannot float images.
- KF8 supports all margins and borders, while mobi7 supports margin-left, but not margin-right (special thanks to Nicholas Barreto, @nickbaretto)
|Renders on:||iPad/ePub||Nook/ePub||eInk Kindle/Mobi||Kindle Fire/KF8|
|First line indent||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Space between paragraphs||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|