Copy Editing by Vook
One of the most frequent pieces of advice we get from authors and publishers is to invest in an editor. Whether you want a standard copy edit or developmental editing, we have a package for you.
Standard Copy Editing
- Complete read of manuscript and art
- Proofread for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization
- Ensure consistency of terminology, numbers, abbreviations, quote styling, and names
- Crosscheck Table of Contents and Bibliographies against text if applicable
- Check for any issues regarding permission and query the author if need be
Stylistic Copy EditingAll features of the Standard copy edit plus:
- Edit for language, sense, and logic, making rewrite suggestions
- Improve word choice, transitions, and fluency
- Eliminate wordiness, triteness, confusing statements, mixed metaphors, and vague generalizations
- Mark or revise material that is sexist, prejudiced, obscene, dated, or slanderous
- Query the author with text suggestions and improvements
- If applicable, ensure science, technical, medical, and math editorial and type-marking conventions are followed, per client guidelines
- Fact check proper names, works of art, films, TV programs, music pieces, etc.
- Create a Table of Contents if requested
If you’re looking for a deeper dive into your title—including storyline, language, and tone advice—contact us to learn more about developmental editing: a collaborative, one-on-one text development between the author and editor.